Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Practicing Awareness of Microaggressions

I experienced an interesting Micro aggression this week. I wear my hair in different styles because I get really bored, so I like to switch it up. I had a parent walk in and say “you black people always wearing a different style. Must be nice”. The way she said it was wrong but I know she meant to cause no harm. The women of my race does wear many different styles for our hair, we like to experience different colors, braids, weaves, natural styles, relaxers, and twists. That is the beauty of it.
What this parent said sounded insulting but as I mentioned, I know what she meant. People really need to think about what they say before they say it because if I was just another person on the street, a black women could take it offensive. I have a relationship with this parent so it makes a difference.

Observing my environment this week made me realize that “sometimes”, people really do not know any better. We all need to do better at thinking about what we say before we say it out loud because you could run into the wrong person someday and say the wrong thing. Some stereotypes are true and some not so true, but if we take the time out to learn about our peers, families, and children we find out more than we assume.

6 comments:

  1. Kweshonte,
    I agree that some people need to watch what they say, because they may be unintentionally offending someone. The fact that you have a good relationship with the parent who made the comment about your unique hairstyles is excellent, and I am glad you understood that her comment was not meant to be offensive, because, as you said, someone else may have been offended.

    Parents should also teach their children to think before they speak, because there are some children out there who do not know what manners are! However, people are usually not offended by what children say, because they are too young to know any better, but the recipient of the offensive comment may wonder why the child's parents did not teach him or her respect for others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kweshonte, what a perfect description of a micro aggression this is. I'm sure the parent did not intend to hurt you, yet I can totally see how it is an insult. It seems to me that our society is losing its "filters" in what we say to people and more and more hurtful things are being said without thinking about them. As educators, we can make a difference with the little ones we see every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kweshonte
    We really do need to watch what we say and this week has really made me think about some of the little things that I say to others that like that mom is not meant to be insulting but could be insulting. I think that the key for people to become more conscious is to become more knowledgeable. They say that knowledge is power and I am starting to realize that knowledge about cultures can really be powerful when working with others.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kweshonte,
    Great post! Thank you for sharing your experiences with microaggression. I completely understand how you feel, even though the parent do not mean to hurt you. This also helps me to aware when interact with other. I can be more sensitive. Thank you for your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow~
    HOnestly, people can really lack insight sometimes. Glad we are learning about how to stear clear of these kinds of remarks~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kweshonte, I'm African American and this does happen a lot regarding hair styles and I know that the people in question don't mean any harm but it's the way that it comes out when they say it!! I just think that some people do be curious about our hairstyles and how do we sleep on these hairstyles? Thanks Kweshonte for the post!!

    ReplyDelete