Thursday, May 21, 2015

perspective on diversity and culture

I have a friend from the Virgin Islands who I have learned a lot from. Patricia and her family are very close. They speak English but their accent is very strong. I notice they do a lot for one another and they would be looked down upon if they did not do a particular favor for another family member. Patricia’s mother is very needy and is used to being taken care of by the father who is now deceased. Her mother lives alone and gets her bills paid by the oldest son and other needs done by her daughters. She does not work and does not drive, her children and husband took care of her. Patricia’s religion is Christian.
My second friend is my coworker and she is from Trinidad. I noticed that she only drives when she needs to but her husband or daughters go with her everywhere. Seeta’s primary language is English at well, but a strong accent. Seeta’s mother normally does all the cooking in her and her husband’s household and the mother cooks four days a week. I also notice that Seeta and her mother talk on the phone every single day at work even though she lives with them. This family has a strong family bond and connection. When Seeta goes back home, her family spends the whole week in her house instead of them going home or getting a hotel and they have an itinerary planned out for the week. Seeta’s religion is Hindu
Another coworker of mine has quite a traditional culture. Every Wednesday Shari and her daughters meet at her mother’s for dinner or they go out to eat. Every Sunday one of her daughters goes to see her father to spend quality time with him, but he does not involve himself in her life. My coworker rewards her youngest daughter every Saturday morning by taking her to her favorite breakfast place if she does well in school. There is not much difference with this family but this is all I know. This family is Lutheran.

What culture is…
S- “I think about the things that goes on my country in Trinidad. I think about carnival season and the hangout spots called the “Lime”. I think about being around my family because we are big on that.
P-“My rituals and traditions is what I would definition of culture.”
S-“My ideas on family values, religion, even down to the way I dress.

Diversity..
S-“I think different nationalities, capabilities, cultures.”
P-“How everyone is different in their own ways, how they act.”
S-“blended, coexist”
I would have to say my Coworker who is from Trinidad and my friend that is from the Virgin Islands are closest to my culture because of the race and traditions. All people of African descent whether they live in North or South America, the Caribbean, or in any part of the world are Africans and belong to the African nation.

Seeing my peers definition of culture has allowed me to see how they think and what shapes their way of thinking. I realized the environment they grow up in shapes their views and their ways.


1 comment:

  1. Kweshonte,
    The description of diversity is exactly how I would have described it, because we do coexist with one another, and we are all different in some ways. I think we should be mindful of each others' differences and not stereotype, because not all members of a particular culture interact the same way or come from the same socioeconomic class. For instance, not all Black people are poor, and not all White people are rich.

    ReplyDelete