Friday, June 12, 2015

The Personal Side of Bias, Prejudice, and Oppression

I have witnessed a coworker being teased because of her accent. She is Spanish speaking and from Puerto Rico. My coworker has been in the states for 20 years but still has a very strong accent and can’t pronounce some things in English so she and another teacher speak Spanish a lot at work to help her speak English better. A lot of people assume she doesn’t know much, an air head because of her Spanish background but she’s very smart. My coworker has 3 children and is married, but they were born here so not a strong accent. My coworker also experienced an issue with getting back into school. She needed help feeling out her FASFA and she was given the run around as if no one wanted to help her. People would get frustrated because they could not understand her.

This situation was not presented as fair because no one tried to help my co worker. I think it is so much easier to help than to ridicule. We are all the same but different. Instead of giving her the run around with FASFA they someone could have sent her a guide on what to do or took ten minutes out of their time to help.

The feelings I got from this was heartbreaking. I felt in a way I knew where she was coming from because my race is considered a minority and we still experience prejudice, racism and discrimination because of our race.


Both parties involved could have turned the situation around because everyone should be treated with dignity and respect no matter their background. My coworker should not have to, but just had to work harder for people to understand her by educating herself so it will be easier for her and who ever she communicates with. In this world you have to work almost twice as hard to get what you want or deserve and that is in every category.

2 comments:

  1. Kweshonte
    I feel bad for your co-worker because language got in the way of her continuing her education. I agree with you that those who are considered the minority have to work harder to get what they want and it is not fair. Learning about privilege and the things that I have been awarded has helped me to understand the many issues that others have to deal with and it makes me angry that this is accepted in this country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Accents are one way for us to express our culture. Although I have lived in the DC area for 24 years, I still have a slight "country" accent. It's not southern, as I consider that much slower and drawn out. But when meeting new people, most ask me "Where are you from?" I always wonder if they think I am a southern person? It makes me wonder if they think of me as a "redneck" or a racist person?
    I have worked very hard to get rid of my accent so that I am not considered southern.
    This must be hard for your friend. My accent is not based on a separate language. Your friend has it tough. An accent is part of who we are, and it's terrible that she was treated poorly while trying to further her education.

    ReplyDelete