Thursday, June 18, 2015

Welcoming Families From Around the World

The country I have chosen is Zambia. It is a country in South Africa. In this scenario, I chose to be a family host. Five ways I would prepare myself to be culturally responsive towards this family:
1.      Learning what they eat- I’m curious because most of African food is very rich in natural and fresh ingredients.
2.       Learning their language- I would like to welcome them in hello in their language and say goodbye when they part their ways. This way they see I took time out to learn a little bit of their language and so they will feel comfortable.
3.       Learning their norms
4.       What they do for entertainment- Maybe some games, or outings, family nights that I could use within my family as well to incorporate other cultures in my family.
5.       Learning about their education

These preparations we help benefit my family because it will help us see our own culture from a new perspective. To be able to connect to a new culture through advocating, hosting, social media and conversations will show lots of fun and pleasure. There could be joy in also having them learn a little bit about my culture as well. A new world of connections and understanding will open up our eyes to many opportunities and connections.


2 comments:

  1. Kweshonte,
    Learning a family's native language is a great start to learning about their culture, and I'm sure they would be happy to hear that you had made an effort to say 'hello' and 'goodbye' in their language. Learning their cultural norms is another good way to prepare for meeting this family, because norms differ from culture to culture, and it is important that we familiarize ourselves with those different norms to avoid offending someone by not adhering to their customs and beliefs. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Language is a big one that helps to ease the child's entry into school. Although we may mess it up, it allows the child to "help us" with words and vocabulary in their language. This sense of "helping" gives little one a power in their new setting!

    ReplyDelete