Saturday, July 25, 2015

Myself as a communicator

This week I evaluated my self as communicator in ways I would evaluate others. Some of the ways I evaluated myself :

  1. Sending a clear message. Everyone has to be on the same page of understanding.
  2. Making sure I am hearing and understanding- interpreting the situation
  3. making sure my facial expressions and gestures does not come off ass offensive
I had realized that while taking the assessment of verbal aggressiveness I was rated as a significant aggressor. My score was pretty high. I was definitely surprised because I did not know I came off that way. It is never my intentions to be that aggressive. Now that i look back at the the way I communicate with my children and families and in my personal relationships, I have a lot of work to be done.

Others think of me as a communicator as:

  1. Thoughtful
  2. My movements of intimidation
  3. Non verbal communication
I have to say that I was surprised by my movements of intimidation. Just like sometimes I do not intentionally give off a bad gesture, I did not know that when I am intimidated, it changed my body language. When I took the assessment of the listening styles, it said that I was empathetic. I was not surprised by the results.

I have l;earned this week that it is hard to understand an individual if we do not communicate with them. We can easily pick up a book or magazine and read about someone and think we know them when really we know much of nothing at all because not all facts or information is going to be true unless we talk to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment