Saturday, January 17, 2015

sharing Web resources

The name of the web site I chose was zero to Three, National center for infants, toddlers and families. The Web address ishttp://www.zerotothree.org/. The purpose of this web site is to provide information for parents, educators, and policy makers the knowledge to nurture early childhood education. This web site provide ways and ensures a strong start in life for infants and toddlers.

I was reading an article about play and ran across some interesting thoughts. I am a firm believer on children playing as part of curriculum and children’s development and growth. I know that children learn best through play, but what I did not know is what they were actually learning. The article mentions that children are learning mathematical concepts, literacy skills and story telling skills. These skills are building on brain development in so many ways. I also thought children learning confidence and self- esteem was an interesting thought as well because children do not know they are doing this.


As an infant toddler teacher am now more aware of the importance of play than I ever was. We are structured on following curriculum. I will be placing more play in my curriculum. I just need to find a balance.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kweshonte,

    Thank you for sharing and enjoyed reading your post. Play is a natural part of infant/toddler development and I miss working with infants/toddlers. That was my specialty and honor working with infants/toddlers. Play can be easily incorporated into your curriculum with any and all activities you plan.

    Here is a link on an article I used to make home-made toys, have fun. http://www.naeyc.org/files/yc/file/201109/Using%20Toys_Guyton_Online_0911.pdf

    In what ways do you feel that changing demographics and diversity would affect children's play, their families, and the EC profession?

    mO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kweshonte,
    Play is so important.There are so many good resources to help develop a curriculum rich in hands-on play experiences. One of my favorite books about play is called "Play" written by Lisa Murphy. She is amazing. I am actually going to a conference here in Orlando next month were she will be speaking. I have already seen her many times. The book is worth reading. I am also going to check out the article Janeen mentioned about home made toys.

    ReplyDelete